Working at a movie theatre does have many perks. You know, I get free movies, movie posters, drinks and popcorn. Boy do I love popcorn. What seems to burst my bubble the most about working at MJR is the school year. Not only do I get less hours and the occasional call-in on the worst days (if I'm lucky), but I also have to deal with cranky people. For some reason, when all of the children go to school and the parents go to work more, they all seem to get crabby. And who better to take all that stress out on the concessionist at the movie theatre, whose job is to serve food, not to give advice to stressed out crazy patrons. A prime example of the "wonderful world of cinemas" is September 9, 2008.
After waiting an entire week for another day at work, I was hoping to come to a moderately relaxing day. Of course, that would only be too easy. Instead, I came into work with a few people in the lobby and then all of a sudden there was a rush of people. Too many orders for my mind to memorize. People were rude, inconsiderate, pushing each other, and yelling at me because I "did not wait on them fast enough." It was bogus. Time slowly passed by and the day got a tad boring until one over-sized 40-year-old woman asked me for a refill. With no questions asked, I gave her another icee, but then she wanted another straw. Little did I know that getting another straw would turn into a fight. As I tossed the straw in her direction, the lady said, "Did you throw that straw at me?" With a questioned look I said, "No ma'am, I just tossed it on the table." But that didn't seem to be the right answer. She looked at me again, but this time her lip curled and she barked, "Excuse me, but you threw this straw at me." All defensive I said, "Not intentionally!" As she grabbed her child's hand, she stormed off. What did I do? Did I say something wrong? This seemed to be only the beginning of several strange events.
As the day pressed on, I noticed that there were cops running into the lobby. As they dashed across to the self-serves and attacked three young boys. Apparently they had stolen from a few cars in the parking lot and were being followed by the mall security. I saw them get hand cuffed and taken away while people stared from all directions.
Next thing I knew I had this very strange lady come up to me in line. She frantically took her cup and shoved it in my face. I'm thinking to myself, "That's rude," and "didn't I just sell her that large drink?" Then she decided to say the most absurd thing I've ever heard in a while. She says, "I am so angry. Refill my cup because I was so angry that I could not find the salt shaker that I spilled my cup." What in the world? How does that even make sense? I looked over at the self-serves and it looked like the lady took the pop and shook all over the table, the floor, the butter dispenser, and the register. I decided that ignoring the situation was the best thing for me to do. I could have said something that I would have regretted.
The night was about to end and I couldn't wait to get home. I was so sick of everything that was happening. Last, but not least, a woman comes rushing up to the counter saying I need a refill. I'm thinking, "O great, here's another one." But her story was different. Her daughter had tripped on a stair in one of the theatres and was bleeding profusely from her leg. Now, the cinema was at fault and she had to document the incident and mall security had to get her a wheel chair and take her away. What a day!!
I was so glad it was finally time to go home
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I totally know what you mean about people that you wait on being completely ridiculous.
I work at Dairy Queen, and you would be amazed at how rude complete strangers are about ice cream!
One woman actually watched me make three banana splits, put lids on them and bring them up to the counter, and then said she had changed her mind and wanted chocolate ice cream. And she had the balls to reprimand me when I didn't smile while bringing her the new order!
Post a Comment