History was made this week when the first ever elected African American President came into office. For many African Americans, this is a huge leap in their struggle to gain equality. In Langston Hughes "Theme From English B," I felt that his hardships to gain respect was significant. It showed that because he was black, he couldn't even grab the attention of his white teacher, when Langston was by far a brilliant writer. I feel that African Americans have overcome that boundary and that we are a far more cohesive nation, excepting of all races.
When I was first told "History was made" after this election, I asked myself, "what history?" Sadly enough, it took me a few days to realize the signifance of a black president in office. In my mind there was absolutely no problem with an African American being in office. It did not phase me. I feel like because ever since I was born, I was taught that there never was a racial problem. I may have seen it, but in mind, I had this image of an equal world. I ignored the discrimination and the pain that African Americans went through for all of those years. I ignored the name calling and pushing around. I felt that there was no need to create a dividing line. I always treated everyone at the same level that I would want to be treated.
The reason for my choice in president was not because the candidates are African American and White, but who was more qualified for the position. I will never choose a candidate who may be of a particular race, but unable to perform. I choose based on qualifications, a trait that Langston Hughes needed his teacher to have.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment